Monday, September 8, 2008

Moving + Ian Patrick + Portfolio

I haven't been online in a while because I finally moved into my new apartment in Irvine!
I really hated my old apartment. It was extremely unsuitable for art students.
I always had to do my art work either on the little coffee table outside in the living room,

or I had to set up my aluminum easel next to my desk and have it constantly get kicked over by me. My easel was literally right next to my bed.

My new apartment room is much bigger and actually has space to stash all my art supplies.
:)

Continuing from my last post, I wanted to share the work of my painting teacher, Ian Patrick.
His paintings and drawings really are fascinating. Even though he may be incorporating a dif
ferent element into his drawings, I see disembodiment and the mixed signals in his work.
I really appreciate him showing his work because it's very inspiring.

Here is a link to his website: http://softtopic.typepad.com/portfolio/


I also wanted to post more of my portfolio pieces. This really has been the summer of inspiration. I'm really glad I took the summer life drawing class. If I didn't, I don't think I would've had any good pieces for my portfolio.
The charcoal piece above was kind of a breakthrough for me. I kind of have trouble seeking out the different shapes and lights on the back of a model. So, this piece was a bit difficult but it's a drawing of a person's back that I am quite happy with. It might be a little messy still, but it makes a lot more sense than my other drawings of backs.

1 comment:

  1. Your apartment story is sooo hilarious, but so close to home when I started college.

    Great portfolio pieces.Charcoal is sooo fun to use. Unfortunately, it's super messy and my room mates would always complain of the piles of dust it created :( Charcoal and pastels are definitely one of my favorite mediums to use. Bill Cone of Pixar is sooo awesome with pastels. He has a blog of his travels that just blows my mind every time I visit!!!!

    You and Louie del Carmen (http://randomanomalies.blogspot.com) really reminded me of how much I miss life drawing sessions.

    ReplyDelete