Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Movie Review and other thoughts

I actually have some time to make a new post today :)
I've been wanting to do a little movie review for Ponyo and Inglorious Bastards.
Seriously, some of the best films that I saw all year. Two completely different genres but both great films.

Ponyo: Again, Miyazaki performs his witchcraft and delivers another fantastic film. Ponyo, though not as epic as Princess Mononoke or Naussica, is truly a sweet story that has the same feel as Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service. It is about a goldfish/ girl who wants to become human. The story is not hard to digest at all. It is sweet, simple, and really feel good. (Good date movie ;) So I don't have much to say about it. It surely met my expectations. Miyazaki never fails to make you laugh, gasp and fall for his characters. Highly recommended :)

Inglorious Bastards: Great movie, great story, great music, great characters. Overall, great great movie! This film is very impressive. I highly recommend this movie to people who love action and quirky characters. Inglorious Bastards definitely has a very talented cast of people. I think one of the most impressive aspects about the movie is that you'll find that some actors in the movie are multilingual and can speak up to 3 or 4 languages. I don't know about other people, but I appreciate the variety :)
Another aspect of the film that makes it so great is the suspense in the movie that keeps you guessing. I think it's Tarantino's magic that makes you feel like you don't know what is going to happen next in the movie. I don't want to say too much about this movie either because you just have to see for yourself. This movie is not boring and will keep you at the edge of your seat.


Some thoughts: Recently, I've been having some thoughts about applying to Calarts. I still want to apply, but there is a part of my brain that is nagging at me and is making me think that because I am already attending Otis, Calarts would not want to accept me. I got some advice from my fellow animated buzzers and so far, 100% of them have told me that attending Otis is not a reason why Calarts would reject me. I agree, that it shouldn't matter. I guess it's because I tend to put art schools on a high pedestal and I end up thinking strange thoughts like this. I don't know much about the factors that make an applicant worthy of Calarts, but I do hope that already attending an art school doesn't hinder that in any way.

Other then that, I must go art supply shopping now. So far, I'm having a good time at Otis. I have some homework due next week. I really have to get back into school mode and remember that I have homework :P

My camera is having issues right now. I hope to resolve that soon so I can post up the work that I've been doing.

until next time!
(by the way, boondock saints II is coming out? hmmm....)

1 comment:

  1. I would think attending Otis would show CalArts that you are serious about Art.

    ReplyDelete